About Laser Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal Reference Guide
Laser hair Removal has been approved by the FDA for safe and effective permanent hair reduction. During treatment, the laser emits a pulse, which travels through the skin and is attracted to the darkness of the hair. The laser then heats up the hair's shaft and root, destroying it without damaging the skin. When the follicle is eliminated, it is unable to re-grow hair. Hair grows in 3 different cycles. Since melanin is only produced in the growth phase of the hair, the laser must target the hair follicle during this cycle.
For this reason, more than one treatment needs to be scheduled at 5- to 7-week intervals. Since laser effectively targets many hairs at one time, lots of follicles are destroyed at once. This allows us to remove the hair of large areas in a fairly quick treatment session. It is recommended to have at least 6-8 treatments to achieve to your best result. With multiple treatments, we can ensure that most of the hair follicles are disabled.
Pre Treatment Instructions
- Avoid waxing, plucking, depilatories or electrolysis for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. These methods remove the pigmented part of the hair which the laser needs as a target.
- All areas being treated with the exception of the face must be shaved 1 day prior to treatment. This will allow you to receive maximum results.
- Avoid tanning for 6 weeks prior to the treatment. This includes using artificial tanning creams and tanning beds.
- Do not wear lotion, make-up, deodorant directly prior to the treatment.
- Avoid oral or topical photosensitivity medications 1 week before treatment, expect for Accutane, which requires a wait time of 6 months minimum.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Immediately after the treatments, you may experience some redness and bumps at the treatment area, which may last up to 2 hours or longer. It is normal for the treated area to feel like sunburn for a few hours. You should use a cold compress if needed.
- Makeup may be used after the treatment, unless there is epidermal blistering. Just make sure that you have moisturizer on under your makeup. In fact, moisturizer will help the dead hair exfoliate from the follicle, so use moisturizer frequently and freely on the treated area.
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of dark or light spots for 2 months. Use sunscreen SPF 45 or higher at all times throughout the treatment and for 1-2 months following.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. DO NOT USE any other hair removal methods or products on the treated area during the course of your laser treatments except shaving, as it will prevent you from achieving your best results.
- You may shower after the laser treatments, and use soap, deodorant, etc. The treated area may be washed gently with a mild soap. Skin should be patted dry and NOT rubbed. You may apply deodorant after 24 hours.
- Anywhere from 5-30 days after the treatment, shedding of the hair may occur and this may appear as new hair growth. This is not new hair growth, but dead hair pushing its way out of the follicle. You can help the hair exfoliate by washing or wiping with a washcloth.
- It is best to wait 4-6 weeks between treatments. The laser only targets hair in the growth. New hair growth will be in 4 to 6 weeks.
Terms of Services
As a professional courtesy to our clients, we are committed to starting all appointments on time. An early arrival allows time to fill out the appropriate clients forms, change and prepare for your treatment. A late arrival may result in a shortened treatment session to assure that the next client is not delayed.
Cancellations/ No Show/ Late Arrivals: RG Pro Laser requires $35 deposit to reserve ALL scheduled appointments, including initial, follow up and touch up appointments. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Cash or check for your deposit. If you must cancel, please extend us a courtesy call at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. If you cancel less than 24 hours prior to your appointment, you will be charged $25. No shows will forfeit the $35 deposit. If you are more than 15 minutes late, your appointment will be automatically cancelled and deposit forfeited. We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation!